Monday, April 28, 2008

We Need to See More of This

Cardinal Egan lets Giuliani have it:
“The Catholic Church clearly teaches that abortion is a grave offense against the will of God. Throughout my years as Archbishop of New York, I have repeated this teaching in sermons, articles, addresses, and interviews without hesitation or compromise of any kind.Thus it was that I had an understanding with Mr. Rudolph Giuliani, when I became Archbishop of New York and he was serving as Mayor of New York that he was not to receive the Eucharist because of his well-known support of abortion.

I deeply regret that Mr. Giuliani received the Eucharist during the Papal visit here in New York, and I will be seeking a meeting with him to insist that he abide by our understanding.”

Your Bloviator has the crazy-ass notion if all politicians who have the temerity to call themselves Catholic but receive at Mass despite their loud support of the "right" to an abortion, faced the possibility of being publicly chewed out by their bishop, they might at least shut-up; which would go a long, long way toward the resolution of this issue.

(h/t Aufer a Nobis)

No comments: