Friday, April 18, 2008

Having Yet Another Crack at It

Contemporary Catholic church music has been beaten to death on this site so I will avoid commentary about the music used in the Papal Mass celebrated yesterday in D.C., save to aver it could not possibly be any more abysmal than what we are in for Sunday at Yankee Stadium.

I am a newly-minted Catholic, however, so I will toss out a question to veterans who know more. Is there anyone out there (under sixty, anyway) who actually enthuses about modern Catholic church music? I don't mean those who might say, "I guess it's ok, it could be worse," but more like, "Wow, this is gorgeous; stunning, even! It truly makes me feel closer to God." In other words, are there people out there who will actually state the lite-contemporary music-product™ of Haugen & Co. is equal or superior to the antiphonal choral and brass compositions of Gabrieli or well-sung plainchant? If so I am willing to squint my ears and give this crap a second third or fourth chance. I'm not holding out hope, though.

No comments: