Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wilt I love me, comfort me, honour, and keep me in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep me only unto me, so long as I shall live?

A possible revenue generator for declining Episcopal Churches in this narcissistic age: solo weddings (from MSNBC):
Chen Wei-yih has posed for a set of photos in a flowing white dress, enlisted a wedding planner and rented a banquet hall for a marriage celebration with 30 friends.

But there is no groom. Chen will marry herself.

[snip]

"It's not that I'm anti-marriage. I just hope that I can express a different idea within the bounds of a tradition," she added.
Now that is a concept the Episcopal church can enthusiastically embrace.

(h/t Instapundit)

1 comment:

Ecgbert said...

Commonly called by us retrograde common-sense folk 'being stuck on yourself'. Or very public, expensive self-pity (which I understand is the real plot of 'Eat Pray Love'). Spinster gone mad: that's just sad.

Sounds like a good parody of many real weddings, which are mostly occasions for the bride's narcissism to run amok (Bridezilla, a down side of the princess myth in our culture: lots of spoiled girls so what really is a spotlight for the woman goes wrong).

Oh, wait, is she serious?

I wouldn't put anything past the Episcopalians.