Sunday, November 28, 2010

Going Out (or Coming In) In Style

From Damian Thompson:
Anglican bishop lays his mitre and crozier at the feet of Our Lady as he leaves for Rome
A detail from Bishop Andrew Burnham's final sermon as an Anglican:
But I love the Church of England – the mainstream bit – and shall miss her. She taught me the psalms and the Revised Standard Version. She taught me about music in the service of God. She taught me about the beauty of holiness. Oh yes, the naughty excitement of the Folies Bergère may be available in Anglo-catholic worship but the dull dignity of cathedral worship, the seemliness and the decency, is something I shall also miss. I have tried to gather some of that up in today’s service. There is nothing more Anglican than Herbert Howells’ Collegium Regale, ‘Let all mortal flesh keep silence’ by Edward Bairstow, one-time organist of York Minster, and the psalm chant by George Thalben-Ball, long-time organist of the Temple Church. There is little more beautiful in literature than the Cranmerian cadences of the traditional language of the Prayer Book, which, rather unusually, we are using today. I shall even miss some of those in the mainstream whom I have known and with whom I have worked.
It is fairly touching His Grace's sentiments mirror almost exactly mine when I decamped for Rome nearly three years ago.

No comments: