Monday, December 08, 2008

Respect for the Dead

This past weekend Corpus Christi Church held its annual flea market, an event I would normally avoid, being more interested these days in deaccessioning (to use museum terminology) bric-a-brac rather than adding to it. The sale, however, was held in the same room where coffee is served after mass so I had no choice but to have a look.

Given Corpus Christi Church abuts Columbia, it wasn't surprising to find a large book table and given Corpus Christi Church abuts Columbia, it wasn't surprising to find most of the non-fiction titles were decidedly left-wing. Except one: I quickly plucked it from the cast-off Marxiana and asked the friendly person manning the table what it cost, since it hadn't been priced.

She glanced at the book and cheerfully replied, "a dollar is probably too much." I cheerfully demurred and handed over a dollar, getting at a good price a hardbound copy, in fine shape, of Reagan in His Own Hand. I can't say when I'll get around to reading it (though I will) but am pleased already for having ransomed a book containing the writings of my favorite president from the ignominious company of the Gloria Steinem screed it was parked alongside.

No comments: