Friday, October 19, 2007

What Price Glory?

The exhausting lives of America's ruling class take their toll on the participants. Let us begin with His Grace the Bishop of New Hampshire, V Gene Robinson.

As you read this, I will be beginning a three month sabbatical leave, as prescribed for clergy in this diocese every five years. To say the least, the last five years have been busy for me – at times busy and exhilarating, at other times difficult and challenging. I am ready for a rest.

[snip]

Now it is time for me to rest a while. I intend to do so. I also will be doing some things that I have wanted to do, and which this time will permit me. For a month, I will be traveling in the Pacific...These “stops” include Hong Kong, a remote diocese in the Solomon Islands (Province of Melanesia), Australia and New Zealand.

[snip]

My promise to you is that I will not fill it up with activity, but use it to get the rest and refreshment I need and crave.

We are relieved and have no doubt you will keep that promise, your Grace. You will surely take comfort to learn you are not the only cultural icon staggering under the weight of his office.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Ellen DeGeneres' talk show was put on hold for a day because of her emotionally wrenching dog-adoption drama.

"It's been a long week and a tough week and we decided to take a long weekend and be back on Tuesday," said Laura Mandel, a spokeswoman for Telepictures Productions, which produces "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

[snip]

The battle over Iggy, a Brussels Griffon terrier mix, pitted DeGeneres against an animal rescue agency and, at one point, had her in tears on her show. The agency's owners complained of receiving death threats over the dispute.

DeGeneres adopted the dog, then gave it to her hairstylist's family after the dog, despite training, couldn't get along with the comedian's cats, her publicist has said.

Oh, the price of fame. A moment of prayer please, joined in no doubt by our country's shift workers, for the speedy recovery of these two national treasures from their arduous and burdensome responsibilities.

No comments: