Thursday, July 29, 2010

Protestant Divine

I've been meaning to link to this website for some time now, smallchurchmusic.com. Its proprietor is Clyde McLennan, an Australian Baptist minister and musician, and what this good man has done is make available a staggering number of hymn accompaniments, specifically for small churches with limited means but also, of course, anyone else, via MP3s, tastefully and well played by himself. What a godsend for this Catholic convert who still misses the glorious Protestant hymns, particularly those found in the 1940 Hymnal of the Episcopal Church! Yes, Catholic churches do use Protestant hymns these days but typically, nobody sings them which only serves to make their also typically wretched accompaniment all the more egregious.

I wish I could urge those who avail themselves of Mr. McClennan's treasury to make a donation but I cannot find anywhere on his website means of doing so (if I am mistaken, please let me know). Apparently Mr. McLennan is offering his invaluable efforts to up God, without asking for compensation from us. I am profoundly grateful to God and to him.

Thanks to Fr. Timothy Matkin.

1 comment:

Cammie Novara said...

"What a godsend for this Catholic convert who still misses the glorious Protestant hymns, particularly those found in the 1940 Hymnal of the Episcopal Church!"