Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Diary of a Newly-Minted Papist

(A continuing series...maybe)

Yesterday I attended my first mass in St. Patrick's Cathedral! It is only a few blocks from my new workplace (same company, different locale) and since music was advertised I strolled over to attend a midday mass. The music took the form of three hymns (first stanzas only, alas) that happen to be favorites of mine: Old Hundredth (All people that on earth do dwell), Rendez a Dieu (Father, we thank thee who hast planted) and Nun Danket (Now thank we all our God). You can't get hymns more Protestant than those, in fact, those first two tunes first appeared in the Geneva Psalter, no less.

A woman in the sanctuary asked us each time to "please sing" but apparently was just kidding for she would then squawk out the hymns herself into a microphone, obviating the need for anyone else to bother. The organ sounded wonderful, I am happy to report, much better than the last time I last heard it years ago. It was rebuilt in the 'nineties and, I assume, re-voiced. Good job.

After the mass I went in search of a chapel in which to light a candle for a friend in need. Most them were thronged by tourists and since I didn't feel like forcing my way through them, I was pleased to eventually find a lovely chapel that was devoid of tourists, devoted to St. Rose of Lima; a saint new to me and while it was St. Monica to whom I had in mind praying, after reading about St. Rose, I decided she would do just fine.

I was surprised to see the fee for a five-cent candle was two dollars but as a firm believer in capitalism, I mentally saluted the dean (or whomever) of the Cathedral for such aggressive pricing in a popular tourist attraction and dug into my pocket, only to find $1.85. After a moment's consideration, I stuffed the bill and coins into the money box, promising God I would make up the difference next visit.

My prayer, by the way, was answered that very evening, Deo gratias. I will be pestering St. Rose of Lima again soon, no doubt (after dropping $2.15 into the box).

No comments: